Wednesday, April 28, 2010

A Custom Set for an Eclectic Salon

Sorry I’ve been MIA again.  Last week was a whirlwind, which carried into this week, and I’m just now getting my stuff together enough to post.

Saturday the 17th, Cara and I set up for our first try at a big furniture sale.  We set up at a community wide yard sale day in a large, local subdivision.  It was a gorgeous day.  We were excited.  But the crickets chirped, we had few visitors, and didn’t make a single sale.  I was about ready to throw in the towel.  How can we keep doing this if no one is buying the things we’re making?

Cara set out to try and get some of our pieces out of our homes (halleluiah!) and into some local Salons.  She had great success with one Salon in particular that is decorated in black and white with lots of damask (perfect!)  Silver lining #1!!!

I decided to give another push at doing some nice Craigslist ads to move along some of the pieces we had on hand.  We were contacted by a lady who is starting up a new little boutique with her Mother-in-law and Sisters-in-law.  She had seen our pieces on CL, LOVED them, and wanted to talk to us about furnishing their boutique with our furniture.  They would, in turn, sell the furniture for us in their store for FREE (read no consignment percentage!)  They have the benefit of having a furnished store from which to display all their goodies (jewelry, handbags, etc.), and we get (hopefully) some great exposure and a place to sell our stuff!  Silver lining #2!!!

The shiny, sparkly, gleaming silver lining #3:  On Thursday, I met with Elizabeth, who had also seen and fell in love with the stuff I had posted on CL.  She works at a cute and eclectic Aveda salon where each of the stylists have their own little room which is theirs to decorate.  She wanted me to do some custom pieces for her salon room.  She needed a large dresser to keep all her equipment and stuff, a large framed mirror, and a small piece to house all the product for sale.  Elizabeth was SO fun to work with.  We came up with a great color scheme and design ideas, bouncing ideas off each other.  I think she LOVED the finished product as much as I did.  :)

Here are the pieces as they were when we started on Friday:

 P1030108 P1030112P1030111 

And here’s how they turned out:  (The top color on the paint chip on the dresser is the wall color in her salon room, “Sea Kelp” from Behr.  The GORGEOUS main color on the dresser and side table is Catalina Mist from Krylon.  Yes!  A spray paint!)

P1030142

P1030137

P1030143P1030140P1030138P1030139

So, things are looking up.  I am finally starting to get the feeling that this endeavor could really work out.  Thank goodness, because it’s so FUN and rewarding!  And I love working with Cara (hugs, Cara…)

Oh!  And a great big thank you to my cuz Meghan, who is the proud owner of the Springy Chair and End Table!  (hugs, Meg…)

Linking to some par-tays!

Domestically Speaking, My Backyard Eden, Reinvented, Lucky Star Lane, The Persimmon Perch, It’s So Very Cheri, DIY Showoff, Miss Mustard Seed, Funky Junk Interiors, A Soft Place To Land, Thrifty Decor Chick

 

This project is also participating in the Spray Paint Challenge over at the CSI Project!

Visit thecsiproject.com

59 comments:

  1. oh wow! Those color are fantastic! Awesome pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done. I just wanted to say 'hang in there' with your sales (or lack of). I tend to have a couple of busy weeks then a couple of quiet months with mine, but eventually a buyer comes along and pays the price I ask. I am lucky that the money I make from this isn't actually relied upon to feed our family, it is just a very nice bonus when it comes in. I guess that 'Craigslist' is like the NZ 'Trademe' that I sell on...what about 'ebay'? No-one seems to mention that around blogland for selling furniture? Have a great painting day! xx Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is absolutely amazing! I love these pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG! Would have never thought to put those colors together but they are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. my heart skipped a beat! these are soooo beautiful! they aren't my fave style, but what you did with them is incredible. you are seriously talented, and never undervalue yourself just to make sales- know your worth in this world! the right customers always do come along, given time. and don't you want your pieces to go to the right people who will LOVE them and appreciate them like you do? of course ya do, sister!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just wanted to stop by and say that I think you are very talented and I am so happy for you that things are falling into place. Your furniture pieces are soooo fun. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They turned out fantastic!!! Congrats on all the silver linings!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. stop by my blog to pick up your award!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! I love everything here! I actually just bought that exact same mirror (only mine was a gaudy gold color) and I'm still wondering what the heck I should do with it. I painted it white, but that's just not cutting it so far. If only my husband would go for pink...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ok, that dresser is AMAZING! U did a fabulous job. I love how you painted it. It is different, and totally unique, LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The colors used on those pieces are so unusual, but they really work. I love that dresser especially. You girls are so good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anne Marie, it'd be fun to take pictures of this furniture at work in her salon (in all their glory).

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love! The colors are fantastic, and the tree is great!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ann Marie, those are just perfect for a salon. I love the color combination. I know business will pick up soon because you do such amazing work!

    Thanks for sharing at My Backyard Eden!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is gorgeous!! Great job! And I love the colors...perfection!!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow - I love what you did with the dresser! Great colour combos, I would of never thought to combine those colours. I really like the mirror too, it would look perfect in my daugher's room!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don't know what rock I was living under, but this is the first time visit. I'm inspired and in awe of your work. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those pieces are FANTASTIC! I love the colour combinations and the tree is divine. The knobs (Anthropologie?) just make it. Good luck with all your new ventures.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I thought the knobs looked very Anthro too, but they're actually from good ol' Hob Lob. AND they were 50%, so only $1.50 per knob. WAY less than anything at Anthropologie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. really cool! well done! found you thru mustard seed!
    following you now!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  21. That turned out great, I love it, and the colors you used are just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful! amazing work, wish I had a DIY buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I can't imagine anyone NOT buying them! They are beautiful. Great job ... you'd never know how bland they once were. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is gorgeous. We've chosen your item as our Lucky Linky Fetaure of the Week!

    ReplyDelete
  25. confession: i almost just peed in my pants, this is so fabulous. you rocked these pieces HARD.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ha ha!! Sarah, YOU rock HARD!! Thanks for the love. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. That dresser is to die for! Are those Anthropologie knobs? How sad is it that I know what their hardware looks like because go in to drool over them so often?

    ReplyDelete
  28. Ohmygoodness - this is stunning! You did a seriously amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  29. VERY COOL transformation! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  30. LOVE the tree on the dresser! :) would be adorable in a nursery too!
    I came over from the CSI Project!

    ReplyDelete
  31. What an amazing transformation!!!!!
    Love it!!
    =)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Such talent! Beautiful!

    Happy Day,
    Jasey @ Crazy Daisy
    crazyjayzplace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. oh my goodness! so creative and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I LOVE THIS!!!!!! People like you make me sick. (Just kidding) You're too talented for your own good, sister!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Beautiful job..love it.
    tammy

    ReplyDelete
  36. LOVE this! LOVe it so much! I love the colors you've used and everything!! Stopping by from CSI. Now I am a follower!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I love this. My husband would die if I did a tree on something. I love trees and they inspire me a lot. Great job.

    www.themudpuddle.etsy.com
    www.themudpuddleproject.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  38. You have some serious flair! Love your style- brillian!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Very cute! Love that mirror color as well.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Oh my word, that is amazing! LOVE the turquoise with pink! that may be a color combo I'll have to try!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Gorgeous! Love, love, love the colors. Could you get any pics of the pieces in the salon?

    ReplyDelete
  42. Wow!! I love the finish that you did on the pink sections. What is the color of pink? What a great idea to furnish boutiques.

    ReplyDelete
  43. I LOVE these! I work in a salon as a hairstylist, and I think these pieces of furniture would look great in a salon! I love the colors and the distressing really adds a little texture to it. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  44. You are so talented. I love these. So beautiful! Thanks for linking up!

    XOXO
    jen

    ReplyDelete
  45. I love dressers with painted scenes like this. The knobs are darling. Gotta love Anthro! I would have never thought of putting all these colors together, but they look great!

    ReplyDelete
  46. I'm totally in LOVE!!!! I am so impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Fabulous job! Those are beautiful!

    Visiting from CSI.

    ReplyDelete
  48. So gorgeous! I love the colors and the tree is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  49. These are sooooo lovely - at least twice lovely, but probably even thrice lovely. I wish I had an all-girly household and could have this kind of prettiness around me all the time. I found you guys from a cross-post (is that what they call them?) of your pic on vintage revivals and I'm so glad I did because now I have a second home for funiture fantasy.

    ReplyDelete

We love lovely gals showin' some love!